2.08.2010

What School Couldn't Prepare You For

I was talking to another mom in church yesterday. Her daughter, 22, is finishing her Master's in secondary English and is beginning to student teach in the classroom. Having babysat for her a few times, I was interested to hear how she was doing. "She's doing great! She doesn't feel very prepared, though," her eyes looked concerned. "She feels like she missed some of the more important classes towards the beginning. I don't know. She just feels like there's a lot more she doesn't know than what she does."

Geez, I thought. Welcome to the club!

I reassured my friend that her daughter is doing exactly what she should. She's joining the ranks of oh so many other teachers who never feel like they know enough or are good enough for the task ahead. I know. I was there. That no matter how much you read, how many classes you attend, or papers you write, there is nothing that can prepare you more for what you're going to do than just doing it.

Isn't that just like motherhood?

Oh, yeah. We've read books, we've talked to other mothers, we've even attended birthing classes. I mean, how hard could it be? We've watched our moms do it. We've babysat. We've volunteered in the church nursery. Piece o' cake! But no matter what we do, the best education is found in reality. Living it. Day. By. Day.

Here's the good news. The more we do something, the better we get. Riding a bike, driving, cooking... all of those things take time.

We'll make mistakes. Plan on it. In fact, my first year teaching in sixth grade, the other teachers in my hall would all close their doors because my students were so loud. They'd pull me aside to try and give me ideas on how to run my classroom. Not only that, but the aide in my room told the other teachers on my team that I had no control! Aye. Talk about humiliating! But it did get better. Not until I ate of few pieces of humble pie, though.

Think of the teachers you've had in the past who you respected. Chances are you didn't like them for what they taught, but who they were.

To be the best mom you can be, just be who are.

No one else could do it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment