2.01.2010

Building Independence

I would like to know where you can buy padding.

For my entire house.

Jack and Ben are very mobile now, moving quickly across the floor and exploring new areas of the house. And believe me, I was ready for it. My house (albeit it's only three rooms) is baby-proofed now, so I can be comfortable knowing they're safe while encouraging their curiosity.

One thing, though. How can I protect them from getting hurt when they fall?

I can hear all of you veteran moms laughing at me right now.

Jack, pulling himself up onto the Exersaucer while Ben plays in the background

They constantly try to pull themselves up onto their knees and more recently, onto their feet. They'll use anything. The dining room chairs, the couch, the Exersaucers or eachother's backs. They use every ounce of muscle they have to get themselves vertical and then... plop. They fall on their backside or worse, their head. It is so difficult for a new mom to watch.

I want my boys to be tough. I want them to be strong. But can we just skip this whole learning phase where they constantly bump their heads? It's almost too much! The hardest part is knowing they are watching my reaction to see how they are going to react. Stay calm, mom, I try and tell myself. Smile. Give hugs, then let them go.

I don't want to be overprotective. I don't want to shelter my boys so much tht they can't even recognize the real world when they see it. But gosh, I hate having to watch my babies learn all of these things for themselves.

I'll still soften what I can and keep my arms withun six inches of their body when they're attempting to pull themselves up the couch for the twenty millionth time. But Lord, I'm going to need your grace.

A lot of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment