2.03.2010

Calling in Back Up

It was a long day. Actually, it's been a long few days. My boys aren't sleeping like they usually do, are more irritable and seem to be grabbing at eachother a lot more than usual.
 
And then I learned why. Ben cut his first tooth.
 
I have a few more suggestions from friends of what to try tomorrow, but today, it just felt like nothing was working. Especially the second part of the day. Jack wouldn't nap and when he did, Ben's cries for attention woke him up again. They wouldn't let me leave their sides and when I did, they screeeamed. It's just not like them.
 
Andy was working late, so when he came home, I almost burst into tears. "Can you watch them so I can have a minute?" I didn't ask about his day, how work was or how he was doing. I just handed over the boys and laid down to collect my thoughts. My milk won't come in when I'm stressed and that means less food in my babies' mouths! Thankfully, I emerged from my cacoon a few minutes later feeling a little better and able to think more clearly.
 
And I thought, gosh, I am so thankful I have someone to back me up.
 
How do single mothers do it? Or mothers of triplets, for that matter. I know that I can go to my Heavenly Father any time when I need support. And believe me, we talked a lot today. But on a day like today, I needed my husband.
 
When my friend had twins a few months ago, I asked my husband what advice he'd give them as we had been parents to twins for about six months at that time. His response? "Remember, you're on the same team." The same team. The same goal, the same team. I have back-up. And his name is Andy.
 
As I was taking a hot shower a few minutes ago, this passage came to mind...
 
9  Two are better than one,
      because they have a good return for their work:

10  If one falls down,
      his friend can help him up.
    But pity the man who falls
      and has no one to help him up!

11  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
      But how can one keep warm alone?

12  Though one may be overpowered,
      two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Thank God I have such a great friend in Andy.

My husband. My partner. My friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment