2.10.2010

Another Afternoon of Bliss

As I was putting the boys down for a nap, I was dreaming about taking a shower. A long, hot, luxurious shower to wipe away all of the germs and feel fresh again. I always take them at night (a ritual that began only when I had kids,) but both boys threw up last night and we didn't get them down until late. I gave up my shower for a few minutes of extra sleep. (I always regret that, by the way.)

This afternoon, the boys were fed and fading fast. They were exhausted, too. My dream of a warm shower almost turned into a reality.

Almost.

As I was putting Benjamin down, I heard Jonathan cough. Like a deep cough. Uh oh. I bet he has to burp. So I quickly put Ben down next to me, still asleep, and picked up his brother. Jack nestled his head against my chest and let 'er rip. The poor baby threw up all over both of us.

It was one of those things that always happens in slow motion. I'm watching it, knowing it's coming, but it's like I'm paralyzed to do anything about it (though I'm not sure what I could do within two seconds, no matter how slow time seems to pass in those moments!) I looked around for what I could grab to wipe his face while still consoling him. Thankfully, there was a clean blanket I had left on the couch last night. My jacket and pants were soaked and so was he, right down to his shoes.

I spent a few moments just sitting there, wondering what I should do. One's sleeping, the other's filthy. I'm dirty. How am I going to do this? It's not the first time something like this happened, but you would have thought from my reaction that it was.

I put him down, took off my clothes, then put Ben in his crib. I stripped Jonathan bare, put clean clothes on him and then sat him in my room so I could put some clean ones on, too. Thankfully, my pants and jacket he had gotten sick on last night were now dry, so I put those on and went back to the couch, staying away from the spot that was still dirty.

I was grateful that he seemed well enough to eat more, so he drank some more milk and then I put him in his crib ten minutes later, fast asleep.

A half hour later, the dirty clothes are in the laundry, the Resolve is working its magic on the couch and I still have to handwash Jack's crib shoes. I just needed a moment to vent... err, I mean... blog about my experience before going back to reality.

I'm still dreaming of that shower, but I don't think it's going to happen. At least not until daddy gets home. But that's okay. That's life.

It's not very glamorious and at times, it's extremely dirty. But it's the only one I've got.

-----------------

Two hours later: Ben just threw up on me. My clothes aren't even out of the dryer yet from Jack's episode! Thankfully, daddy will be home in less than a half hour... I'm gonna need that shower! :)

2 comments:

  1. Mindy, I can certainly relate to this one. John has always been a puker (since starting solids) and not only is it just a "normal" puking episode, it's projectile. Fun.

    He either eats too much and doesn't know when to stop (or won't), or he has a really sensitive gag reflex. The prime suspect lately is the coughing fit he gets with this terrible cold.

    I have a whole system down now and will even use my body as a shield (chest and arms) so that I won't have to spend time cleaning the walls, door, crib, linens, rug, dresser, rocker, etc. It's gross. It's not easy. But oh, the things we will do for our babies!

    My sympathies to you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had my I not turned off my computer last night, I would've been writing you a message at 12:30 telling you that...........John had just puked! :(

    Went in to give him some medicine because I could hear him coughing (badly) the entire time I was cooking for this morning's bible study. Woke him up from his fitful sleep and as soon as I sat him up on his changing table/dresser, out it came!

    Off to the shower we went....

    ReplyDelete