2.23.2010

A Love Story

In honor of my husband's birthday today, I am telling the story of how we met almost five years ago!

I was setting up my classroom, waiting for my sixth graders to arrive. It was my third year teaching, so I was a lot more comfortable in my own skin, but still had the beginning-of-the-year butterflies in my stomach. I knew it was going to be a good year. For the first time, I had my own classroom, was half-way through my Master's and lost some weight that summer. I felt thin, tan, and confident. I just heard the first bell and knew the eleven year olds would start piling into the halls with the scared looks that I have grown to love.

I heard someone at my door. Definitely an adult's voice. A manly, yet polite voice. "Excuse me," he said. I turned around. I have a feeling I smiled, pleasantly pleased by the masculine and handsome figure that stood leaning in my doorway. "My name is Andy Sauer," he said and extended his hand. I immediately walked over and shook it. His broad smile and sparkling eyes had my attention. Honest eyes, I thought.

"Hi, I'm Mindy Albrecht." Parents were roaming the halls, ushering their nervous children to their lockers. My first guess was that he was a father - a very young father - looking for something.

"I'm new here," he continued. "A teacher's aide. Do you know where the library is?" I laughed and gave him the (curiously easy) directions to the library. He thanked me, gave me a "Thanks, nice to meet you," and then went on his way.

I turned away from the door and stood there a moment, trying to remember what I was working on. I felt as though a fresh breeze just came through my room, the kind you see in a movie when you know the girl just met the man of her dreams and doesn't know it yet. I know it's corny, but I really did.

Every few days, I would see this Andy Sauer passing my classroom on his way to third period. That was when I was MOST diligent with hall duty, when I knew he'd walk by and say "Good morning," or "Hello." That was my favorite part of the day. I'd check my hair in the mirror and apply lip gloss before going out to wait for my new friend to walk by.

But gosh, what are the chances that he'd know the Lord? I mean, how likely is it that I would find my perfect mate walking the halls of the middle school? Still, I enjoyed his friendly smile and looked forward to his pleasant hellos without trying to expect anything more.

A few days later, he stopped at my classroom door on his way by. I thought my knees were going to give out. "Do you go to Eastern Hills Wesleyan?" he asked.

My heart stopped. "Yeah! Do you?" I couldn't believe it. Our church is so large that even after years of attending, we never knew eachother! I realized that I knew his brother and his family, but never knew of Andy. How neat is that? My first cousin, Chantel, who he currently had as a student, must have liked him and started asking him questions, including where we went to church.

"Eastern Hills?" she asked him. "I think my cousin goes there."

"Who's your cousin?" he asked.

"Miss Albrecht." Then he remembered that he had MET Miss Albrecht a few days earlier! We chatted for a little bit about the church and his brother's family before we realized the bell had rung for the next class.

He went on his way and I felt sick to my stomach. But a GOOD kind of sick to my stomach. I just knew this was it! This was the man of my dreams! Thank God, I had a free period next so I picked up the phone and called my mom. I had told her the week before about this guy I had met, but how crazy it was to assume we'd be compatible. I described what he looked like and she said, "You know, Min, I could see you with someone like that." That was last week. How funny to have such a crazy turn of events!

I invited him to my Bible study, so he'd help me in my classroom after school until we drove over together, talked, and enjoyed eachother's company. (My 15-year-old brother even came to 'check him out' and he passed with flying colors!) Our first 'date' was October 10, 2005. He proposed a year later on that same day and we were married in May 2007.

We would tell our story throughout our engagement. I asked him if he really needed to know where the library was that day. He just smiled (the same charming smile that I see in my boys!) "Well, I had to think fast! How else would I have gotten you to talk to me?" And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons I love this man so bad.

I have LOVED being married to my best friend. Here's to many more years of bliss! Happy Birthday, Andy!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. :) You made me smile big today! I love to hear great "how we met" stories! Happy Birthday Andy! You're one lucky guy!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was touching - love strikes randomly - and I love that you love him so bad. Keep doing what your doing - our world is much better with the 2 of you love birds in it!

    :) mary

    ReplyDelete