11.20.2009

Slowing my Expectations

At the boys' four month check-up, our pediatrician said it was a good time to start solid foods. She recommended starting once a day and then increasing it to twice, then three times a day.

We got home and were thrilled to start! We weren't discouraged by their seemingly distaste for the plain cereal and loved watching the food smeared all over their face. I gladly washed their bibs (and usually, their entire outfits) and eventually, started stripping them down to their diaper to feed. Then it got really discouraging.

The boys didn't seem to improve, preferring their bottle to a spoon with food on it. More food ended up on their bodies than in their mouth. I tried forcing them, but they pursed their lips closed so we couldn't even get the spoon inside. I worried that I was trying too hard. I didn't want to frustrate them to the point of refusal, so I gradually gave up.

I felt like a failure. Why can I not get their babies to enjoy solids? Was I doing something wrong? Were my babies slow? The simple answer: NO.

Every baby is different. Some take to solids quickly, while others prefer to go the slower route. My pediatrician wasn't worried, so I decided that I shouldn't be either. I stopped kicking myself about it and braved through the routine every night with my husband, watching the boys spit out each bite. We let them play with the spoon, flavored the cereal and allowed them enjoy the new tastes (even if only a little was being swallowed!)

The boys are six and a half months old now and I am happy to report that they are *now* starting to swallow some of their food! It's not perfect, but they now seem to look forward to it. I gave the boys peaches this afternoon and Ben practically inhaled the whole jar; he opens his mouth in anticipation and barely gets any on his bib! Jack is doing well, though his method is a little different... he seems to lick the food like a dog, opening his mouth just a few times. But we're making progress!!

There's no need to rush my boys into anything. The majority of their diet comes from milk, so why was I so set on getting them to eat solids? They're doing just fine. Was I worried that my boys would never eat solid food? Did I picture them drinking bottles of breastmilk at their high school graduation? When you think about it that way, it really is silly that I put so much pressure for them to perform when I wanted them to.

This episode made me wonder how many other things in my life I am forcing down and with no results? If it's me pushing it, it won't amount to anything. It will only slow the process down. I need to be more patient and wait for the right time. It'll come. It always does.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Mindy!

    Most babies aren't really ready to start solids until about 6 months, so technically, you're right on track!

    I have a great book on feeding/eating for babies and children and would be happy to lend it to you, just let me know! It's one of my favorites. (It's called Super Baby Food if you want to look it up)

    ReplyDelete