11.07.2009

The Best Medicine

I remember thinking that my mom made the best grilled cheese ever. It was the one thing we'd ask for when we were sick and surprisingly, always made us feel better. She'd serve it to us on a fancy tray with tomato soup, crackers, a can of 7-Up and a small cup of flowers. (When we were feeling nauseous, her display also included a large pot.) I felt so special that she would go out of her way to make even something as ordinary as lunch... well, special.

Although my mom's grilled cheese really is the best, I think my memory of it had more to do with the ACT of my mom caring for us rather than the actual sandwich. When we weren't feeling well, no matter the circumstances, she'd drop everything to give us the care we needed. She never said, "Tough luck, kid. I've got better things to do." She went out of her way to see that we recovered well, even if that meant forgoing sleep,a lunch date with a friend or getting stuff done around the house.

Fast forward to MY life as a mom. My son has a dry cough and seems to be uncomfortable yesterday and today. It sounds like his throat is sore and he is losing his voice. (I hope he didn't catch anything at the doctor's office the other day!) Poor little guy. It hurts to see him hurt. All he wants is to be held. By his mommy. He loves his daddy like crazy, but today, only Mommy will do.

I know how he feels.

I've got a bizzilion things I'd love to get done today, but nothing that can't wait. My son needs me. I can't make him grilled cheese and serve it to him on a nice tray but I can hold him. After all, love is always the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment