11.25.2009

Definition of Gratitude

Babies don't need to be taught what selfishness is. Their whole world revolves around them. When they're hungry, they get fed. When they're dirty, they are cleaned. When they want to play, they are pleasantly appeased. And that's okay - that's what's supposed to happen! They're babies!

We were all born as imperfect beings, demanding and egotistical. That's why parenting is such an important job. It is OUR responsibility to teach our children - in a very gradual process - that the world is much larger than they are. That sometimes, we must wait our turn. Say thank you when someome does something nice. Not hit our brother in return. Those things go against our very nature and therefore, must be taught.

Gratitude is one of those skills.

Because the majority of kids get their most basic needs met, being grateful isn't as obvious. 'Of course, I'm going to eat dinner tonight. Why would I have to say thank you for something I would have gotten anyway?' They may have no idea how many children in the world would give everything they had to be able to make a statement like that. Gratitude is about perspective. And an understanding of what someone had to sacrifice to make that possible.

My boys don't know that I gave up six years in the classroom to be home and care for them. They don't how much I would rather sleep through their cries at 4am than drag myself out of bed to comfort them. They'll never know what my husband and I had to do to restructure almost everything in our lives when we found out we would be welcoming TWO babies into our two-bedroom apartment. But I don't expect them to. They're babies. All they know is that they are loved, they are clean, and they are fed.

The only reason I'm able to do these things is because of the sacrifices other people have made on my behalf.

My husband works full-time, so I can be home. My mom gives up at least one day a week to help me with the boys so I can go grocery shopping and have some time to myself. Our families support our children and help give what we need to be successful parents. My boys have, because we have given to them; I have because many others sacrificed to give it to me.

Gratitude. Such a small word, but such a huge concept. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment