1.07.2010

Remembering What's Important

It is now January 7th. My Christmas tree is still up. My Christmas decorations are still up. I haven't even put all of our Christmas gifts away. They are all in a pile in our dining room, almost exactly as we left them more than two weeks ago.

The reason? We've been sick. All of us.

The boys started with a runny nose over the holidays, which quickly graduated to a full-blown cold the day after Christmas. I got it just as they began to recover and then (sadly) passed it on to my husband a few days later. We just can't seem to shake this thing!

When we're not feeling well, it is even more important to remember our priorities. For me, that means attempting to put together dinner each night and order out when I'm not feeling up to it. That means holding my little ones when they need to be held and refusing to make progress on my list. That means resting when I have the chance so I am healthy enough to be there for those I love most. That means supporting my husband and trying to keep him well so he can do his job too.

My to-do list is a mile long. I want to un-decorate from Christmas, put the gifts away and get rid of stuff we don't need. I need to clean my refrigerator, file some paperwork from last year, begin this year's taxes and do laundry. I have been able to do some things as I've felt more healthy, but I cannot forget my most important job: taking care of my family.

My house will be messy for a little while longer. Thank God my husband doesn't mind. (He's actually done more to clean than I have!) For now, I have much more important things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment