1.31.2010

Blessing in Disguise

I'm the kind of person that likes when things go as planned. This morning was not one of those mornings.

But as the Lord would have it, it was one of the best days we've had in a long time.

Andy and I started our morning routine just like, well, routine. We fed the boys and he dressed them while I showered (my only morning shower of the week and one that I look forward to every Sunday!) After I am dressed, I take over, preparing the diaper bags for the day and keeping an eye on the boys while Andy showers and gets dressed. It's a great Sunday routine, one that took eight months to evolve.

Just before putting the boys' coats on, Andy went downstairs to start the car and load all of the bags into the van. He came back up a few minutes later and said, "Uh, Min, we have no heat." Huh? (Andy knows that I like when things go as planned.) Apparently, the fans weren't working properly in our minivan, not only keeping the temperature just a few degrees warmer than it was outside, but also taking away the ability to defrost the windows. We weren't going to make it to church. We changed back into our comfy clothes and settled the boys into having a day at home.

I was bummed.

Not only do I love Sundays because I get a morning shower, I look forward to them because it means mommy gets a "day out." WITH my whole family! We both see our immediate families at church, we go out to lunch and many times, Andy drives around with the boys sleeping in their carseats while I run into Babies R Us or Walmart for a few things to hold us until my next big trip to the store. The fact that we didn't have a vehicle to get all of us out the door meant I would miss out on my much-anticipated trip to the Great Outdoors.

I wasn't as frustrated as I thought I'd be, though. After all, I would be able to be with my boys. All THREE of them! I was determined to make the most of it. We played with the boys a while and when it was time to put them down for a nap, we went to sleep, too! I couldn't believe it. We all had a two and a half hour nap!! It was wonderful. The boys were all smiles when they woke up (something that Andy rarely gets to see since he's working full time during the day) and were super excited to see their daddy greet them.

It has been a great day.

I'm so grateful that I didn't spend too much time sulking in my own situation that I didm't mis out on the blessing God had waiting for me. Perhaps this was His plan all along. Perhaps there was another situation He was protecting us from. I don't know; God is not Someone whose actions I can (or want to) understand. All I know is that God gave me a beautiful gift today. One that I'm glad I wasn't too busy to see.

Benjamin is in my left arm now, watching me type this one-handed. Every few moments he'll lean in to see my face and then giggle when I smile at him. Jack is in the bedroom with his daddy, learning about whales on Planet Earth. I just heard Andy laugh. We are all warm and our bellies are full.

Praise God for a great day and for blessings in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment