3.07.2011

Remain Calm. Deep Breaths. No Sudden Moves.

Over the past few weeks, my boys have been especially clingy. I can't leave the room without having at least one of them at my heels. I can't stand up without at least one of them clawing onto my arm. I can't walk into the kitchen to get their sippy cups without at least one of them whining to come too!

And it has been draining me.

Separation anxiety? I get it. But c'mon, guys. I barely EVER leave you alone. And when I do, it's usually with your dad, nana or the childcare workers at MOPS!

I was desperate, so I turned to my helpful friend, Google. She hasn't failed me yet.

After doing a quick search on "clingy toddlers," Google dependably generated a huge list of articles, some of which were helpful (See here and here and and here.) Here's what I learned: this is normal. This is healthy. These are normal 'growing pains.' And if our kids want our undivided attention, then give them all they need... as much as you can.

It sounds simple - Just enjoy them, Mindy! - but I've been trying to do just that. Giving up on the dishes. Not being too anxious to leave the room when Andy comes home. Telling them where I'm going and reassuring them that I'll be right back when I have to get a tissue. Welcoming them to come with me and not pushing them away, anxious for a moment's sanity. It's only been a few days, but I have noticed a teeeeeny tiny improvement. They still prefer to be with their mommy, but I don't feel as stressed about scooping them up to get a quick glass of water (even if I will need reconstructive surgery on my back someday from all of this heavy lifting!) I'm much more content to sit and play with blocks than scrambling for a moment's sanity. I'm *trying* my best to take it easy. And to just sit down and enjoy them.

For sure, it's easier said than done. Not getting up from a little play session to take a quick peek at Facebook took a little self-discipline at first (how sad is that?) I've decided to keep the computer off all day and restrict myself to Internet on my phone (for those times I'm feeling disconnected from the outside world) and then my laptop when they're sleeping. But trying to slow down my pace so the boys don't feel like this is their one-and-one opportunity to claw into mommy before she leaves us for however long!

Thank God for Google. And for sanity. It's totally underrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment