3.27.2011

Preparing Mr. Right

The other day, I came across a tiny onesie that read, "Future Mr. Right."

It was adorable, especially on the three month old that had it on. But that really made me think: my boys - each of them - will someday be another girl's Prince Charming. Jack will be the man that some little girl dreamed about since she was six. Ben will be the man who another girl prayed for. My babies. My babies who will be grown men someday. Another girl will look at them and see everything I first saw (and continue to see) in their daddy, more than five years ago.

What am I doing now to grow these little boys into men? Men who will be the husbands and fathers to the next generation? Suddenly, worrying about silly things like diaper rashes, if they're eating enough vegetables and if they can use the potty at 22 months old don't seem so important.

My prayer for them? I want them to be men of character. Godly character.

I want them to be strong, independent, patient, gentle, confident, and have self-control. I want them to be kind to the elderly, generous with the poor and passionate about the Lord. I want them to stand up for those who have been made silent, be optimistic in the face of oppression, and champion the Truth. I want, more than anything, for them to know Jesus as their personal Savior.

So until that day, I will continue to encourage them to clean up after themselves, say "please" and "thank you" (though we're still working on that one,) and saying "I'm sorry" when they are wrong. We'll send thank you notes in the mail and stop to acknowledge another's good deed. It's a humbling thought to realize they will get their ideas about morality from me and Andy. I remember learning that their idea of right/wrong (as well as personality) is established by the age of five. If we are thankful, they will learn to be thankful. If we are positive, they will learn to be positive. If we say encouraging things to one another, then they will (hopefully) say encouraging things to one another.

I will continue to pray for the little girls that will someday be the wives of my little boys. God knows, they're going to have a tough time convincing their future mother-in-law they're good enough for her little men.

No comments:

Post a Comment