3.24.2011

Minestrone Soup

Yesterday was a cold cold day, a perfect evening for soup. So I made one of my husband's (and boys') favorites, Minestrone.

We're a BIG fan of Carrabba's restaurant. Every time, Andy orders either the Spicy Sausage and Lentil or their Minestrone - they're so flavorful and taste homemade! Every time we go, I'm trying to pick apart ingredients so I could match it at home. And let me tell you, this recipe rivals theirs. My husband said so (and we all know that he's not bias ;) This is a recipe from the Food Network.

Minestrone Soup
3 c. chicken broth
1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-15 oz. can white cannellini or navy beans, drained
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 c. onion, chopped
2 c. cabbage, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
2 bay leaves
salt and black pepper
2 c. cooked ditalini pasta
2 c. coarasely chopped fresh or frozen spinach defrosted
4 T. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
basil springs, garnish, optional

In a slow cooker, combine brother, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Thirty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add ditalini, zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Remove bay leaves and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top. Garnish with basil, if desired.
A few variations: The only change I made to the original recipe was adding cabbage, Carrabba's secret ingredient. What a HUGE difference! Initially, I chopped up a whole cabbage and then put only half into the soup. Then I froze the other half in a Ziploc bag so it was drop-in ready next time I wanted to make soup. Yesterday I used the frozen (already chopped) cabbage and it was absolutely perfect. Also, the recipe calls for ditalini pasta, but I use whatever's in my cupboard; yesterday it was orzo pasta, which looks like rice. My husband loves it. Finally, I begin with one can of chicken broth and then add a few more cans of water with chicken boullion. It stretches the broth and allows me to make a little more than a regular batch.

Soup is comfort food for the soul. Perfect on a chilly day or for a simple lunch. We had it with BLT sandwiches and it was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment