3.02.2010

Two Little Irish Caps

The last few days have been tough around here. Well, weeks.

The boys have continued to sleep really well through the night, about nine or ten hours, sometimes eleven. But naps? Well. Let's just not go there.

Jack won't let me sit. Ben won't let me put him down. My solution? Stand with both of them in my arms until they fall asleep, sit down, then let them nap on my chest for at least an hour and a half. It's better than no nap at all, right? Right?

My arms ache from holding two 22-pound sacs and I can feel my fingers going numb. My leg falls asleep a few times, but I'm able to move it around a little while they continue sleeping. I finally have to wake them up when a tingling pain in my lower back becomes too difficult to sustain. I readjust myself and am almost relieved when they wake up, smiling.

I did this twice yesterday, once for each nap. I hadn't had a moment to myself and was feeling drained. So when Andy came home, I am more than exhausted. I've had four little arms pulling at me, grabbing at me, clawing, scratching, crawling over me for eleven hours straight. They've thrown up three times and I've washed five loads of laundry. Thank God for relief. Andy played with them for a few hours while I made dinner, pumped and spent a few mindless minutes on the computer. (Thank you, Andy!)

I was excited to go to my mom's today for a change of pace. We had MOPS in the morning (another blessing) and then we hung out at the house. She gave them these little Irish caps she recently bought a few days ago. Oh. My. Word. They are too cute.

Ben and Jack, sporting their new caps (which are JUST like daddy's!)

Jack listening to his iPod. Just kidding. He's really trying to pull the cap off. But it looks like he's holding earphones, doesn't it?

Benjamin jammin'

And then I take these pictures and upload them onto the computer (something which has always been therapeutic for me anyway.)

Look at these faces.

Aren't they so beautiful? Such miracles. Such blessings. And they belong to me. Wow. Yeah, it's a lot of work. But isn't ANYthing that's of any value a lot of work?

To add to my softened heart, I noticed a new tooth poking its head through on the top of Benjamins' gums before he went to bed tonight. Maybe that's why he's so uncomfortable. My poor baby.

So now, I have two adorable, uncomfortable children who are a lot of work, but add more joy to my life than I could have ever imagined. And apparently, all I needed to remind me of that was some time away and two (very adorable) little Irish caps.

No comments:

Post a Comment