3.17.2010

Love is a Decision

Ever see the movie, Fiddler on the Roof? Growing up, I always loved watching that movie, fast-forwarding through the boring songs and dancing to the music with my sisters. I woke up with one of those songs in my head today.

Do you love me?


Tevye, the father just finished a conversation with his oldest daughter where she explained that she didn't want to marry for money; she wanted to marry for love. "Love?" he asks, confused.

He awkwardly goes to his wife and asks, "Golde, do you love me?" She, like him, is confused why he would even ask. She thinks about everything they suffered through together. Things they've shared. Things they've gone without. They, like everyone else in the community, met on their wedding day. Love was not even considered; not then, and not after twenty five years.

Once Golde considers his question, she realizes that it must be love. "It doesn't change a thing... but even so, after twenty five years, it's nice to know."

The lyrics of this song are like a beautiful love story.

That song made me think of all the things we do because we love our family. Make dinner. Clean the dishes. Fold the laundry. Get up at 4am when we hear our babies cry. Clean up their puke. Ease their falls. Kiss their boo-boos. Hug their daddy.

We may not say I love you that many times during the day, but it oozes out of everything we do.

Love is not merely an emotion. It's a decision. A decision we make every single day of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment