4.12.2010

A Small Gesture

After we put the boys down for the night, my husband and I are finally able to have some time for ourselves. While I enjoy relaxing in front of the computer before going to bed, Andy enjoys relaxing in front of the television. And believe me, after all of the work he does during the day, he deserves it.

Before I go to the computer, I poke my head into the room and ask, "Can I get you anything?" What he asks me for is never a big deal. A glass of water, his cell phone, if anything at all. Why I'm asking him, is the big deal.

This is one small way I feel like I can honor my husband. Make him comfortable. Communicate just how much I appreciate him working and recognize that he needs time to relax, too. Rather than making him feel guilty, I try and encourage it. And believe me, he notices.

As wives, we are called to serve our husbands. Not in a way that is demeaning or degrading, but in a way that is honorable and noble. I don't offer a helping hand because I feel like he expects me to. Or that he simply assumes that's part of my role as his wife. (If that were the case, I doubt I would do it at all!) I do it because I know it blesses him.

And when our husbands feel appreciated, they are then able to care for and love their family. It's a cycle of love. But it starts with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment