4.10.2010

One Step at a Time

It started innocently enough. A little bit here, a little bit there. Nothing huge. My mom was the first to see Jonathan doing it; last Wednesday, in fact. I thought she was exaggerating. I mean, there's no way. Right? My boys are too little for that. And then Ben started doing it, too. Mostly when no one was watching. They don't do it all of the time, but they're getting better. Stronger. More confident. And I'm getting scared. Really scared.

That's right. My boys have taken their first steps.

True to form, Jonathan won't 'perform' his new skill on command. Instead, he waits for when the attention is somewhere else before he practices. Usually, it's when he's walking alongside the wall, using his one hand to steady himself; he takes position and stands on his own. He waits a few seconds, takes a step, then takes another, then takes another. Then he falls on his butt or goes forward on his hands and knees. (This explains all of the extra red marks, bumps and bruises they've acquired on their bodies lately!) Benjamin seems to be a little more hesitant. Ben waits for our attention to see him stand for what feels like an eternity, maybe take a step or two and then collapse on the ground. Whereas he's always struck me as being the more outgoing personality of the two, he has surprised me with how tentative he's been about taking chances.

It will be interesting to see how they progress from here! It's been more than a week since Jonathan took his first steps and already, he's up to about seven steps at a time. Ben has taken only about two or three at a time so far, but still, that's pretty good! They're not even a year old yet! Unbelievable. It is so exciting to watch them grow!

One step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! That is really exciting =) I understand your fear, of course, too. You have all made it this far, so you'll be just fine with the walking phase! Although, be warned that the house seems to get exponentially messier when the kids' hands are suddenly free to carry objects to new locations. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Robyn about the mess. During nap time I am frantically scurrying around trying to clean up before the next siege is waged! I know you'll do great, but having TWO walking does seem a bit scary... HOWEVER, you have gotten through a LOT so far and I know this will go great too!!!

    ReplyDelete