4.29.2010

Mom's Veggie Noodle Soup

I am convinced the soup is more than just food. It's a hug from your mom, a kiss from your dad, and better than any medicine a doctor can prescribe. It is food for your soul.

My mom makes soup for my boys all of the time and they love it! I feel like they even sleep better when they've had soup. When I realized how easy it was, I asked her to explain how she did it so I could make it for them, too. It is sooo simple. These measurements aren't strict at all, especially since my mom's not a fan of measuring cups :) but I wanted to give a rough idea of how much I put into my pot.

Vegetable Noodle Soup
6 c. water
1.5 tsp. chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes)
2 celery stalks, grated
1 carrot stick, peeled and grated
2 T. Barilla pastina
1 egg
Heat water in a pot and add celery and carrots. Stir in bouillon. When the water boils, add pastina and cook for about 6 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of parsley. Then crack an egg inside and beat with a fork into the broth. Cool in a bowl, or add cold water to bring it to the right temperature.
I try not to use too much salt when I'm cooking for the boys, so I only put 1.5 teaspoons of bouillon. If I was making it for me and Andy, I probably would have put in more boullion and also used larger noodles such as egg noodles, etc. But hey, whatever works! I make one pot every few days and then reheat it for dinner each night. I'm also working on experimenting with other soups. I feed it to the boys when they're dressed only in their diapers to make cleanup a little easier as well.

I'll do almost anything to encourage a good night's sleep! :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Totally plan to borrow this recipe for Madeline when she starts wanting "people food"! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete