12.05.2009

Validating the Quiet Ones

Do you have a child that doesn't require much attention? Quiet? Reserved? Introverted? Content?

Don't make the mistake of thinking they don't need you as much as your other kids. If anything, they may need you more.

Introverts have a tendency to internalize everything. (Believe me, I'm one of them.) If there's a fight, they *feel* it. They try to figure out what they did wrong. If a parent invests in the more demanding siblings, the reserved, "low maintenance" child may feel as though they are not as important. That they need to be a certain way to obtain their parents' approval and time. They may feel that who they are isn't as interesting and in order to obtain their parents' approval is to be different. More demanding. More difficult. They may act out and cause trouble, all in an effort to gain attention.

Every youngster craves for acceptance from their parents. One of the biggest gifts we can give our kids is the gift of time. (That's the most valuable thing we have most days!) Time to talk, time to play, time to do things we enjoy. When we know that our parents love us enough to invest in our development, real maturity happens.

I am so grateful that my parents invested time into me - time to validate who I was - even though I wasn't as vocal about needing it. Because my parents showed me that I was just as valuable as my other siblings, I feel confident in who I am. I feel comfortable in my own skin. And I think there is nothing more powerful we could give to our children.

Even the quiet ones. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment