1.24.2012

Where We Are, Where We're Headed

Operation Get Rid of Sippy Cups is actually going pretty well!

The boys still ask for them every so often - especially when they're tired - but it has been soooo helpful to be able to remind them that their Baby Cups are in the garbage. "Oh. Okay," they respond. And they LOVE to remind me that they're not babies. "I big boy." I love it.

Their favorite cups are some disposable ones I have with a straw from Target (though they've handled the dishwasher quite well.) They can spill, but they've actually been pretty good when they tip over. And the best part is that the boys can't lay down with them, which really frees up their mommy. We try and keep their cups at the table, so they know where to find them during the day. They've always enjoyed twirling their hair while they hold the sippy cup with their other hand, so it's been funny to watch them try and do that still, while sitting up. They'll try and lounge with their cups, but once they find they can't get any liquid out, they'll straighten out their bodies. Progress!

Andy and I have been talking about ideals and what we would love for the boys to be able to do by the time Baby Girl arrives. We had three ideals: the boys would be done with sippy cups, potty trained and sleeping in their Big Boy beds. Sippy cups are looking good, so now we're onto potty training... while hoping they retain what they've learned.

I don't know when I'll officially begin the potty training process, but I'm thinking about this upcoming Tuesday. My expectations have come down a bit since many of my good friends have encouraged me to do so (especially with the likelihood of the boys regressing once the baby comes.) I had been thinking that I'd do it all: underwear during the day and at night. But learning how it seems to go for many other kids - especially boys - I'm thinking that training them to use the potty during the day is going to be a big enough deal for now. I'll still use diapers at night. Knowing that my husband and I were late-bloomers in most ways also helps bring me down to reality, too. This also makes doing the transition on my own a little more manageable.

The last of our three ideals is sleeping in their Big Boy beds. We purchased two twin beds a few months ago and tried to make the transition rather quickly. But as the boys proved, it was way too much, way too fast. Not only were we encouraging them to sleep in a new bed while they weren't sleeping well to begin with, but it was a new room. Too much. I would love to use one of the boys' cribs for the baby rather than having to borrow an additional crib from my sister, though she has it ready for me. We've kept the beds set up in the other room and the boys love to play in there, jumping from one to another, but this nesting mommy is getting anxious to set up the room for the baby. I've also been getting increasingly nervous watching them in their cribs.

I try not to make a big deal out of it, knowing that would only encourage them to do it more, but it's downright frightening sometimes. They've been able to climb in and out with no problem for some time now. But now they're getting a lot more confident. They'll walk along the railing and then do a cannonball onto their mattress. They do somersaults and headstands. They'll straddle the crib, balancing their feet on each railing and then hop down. They'll lean on the railing and balance on their tummy across the edge. And what can I do? I try and ignore it and hope they'll be a little more safe with just a plain mattress and one guard rail. When and if they decide to sleep in them, that is. Tonight, I decided to move ONE of the beds into their bedroom so they could toy with the idea of sleeping in it. We'll see how it goes. I honestly don't mind if they stay in their cribs until they're four. But the frightened mother in me figures it's worth a try.

So that's where we are. Once again, I am faced with the reality that I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing. But even still, I'll keep chugging along, hoping that God's grace will continue to fill where my abilities fall short.

2 comments:

  1. change, change, change....always change with little ones! Good luck w/ the potty training...M & M's were my secret tricks with Ava...w/ Ella it didn't matter, she just wasn't going to go until she was ready...

    Keep trying with the beds...Ella is in a big girl bed now and doing well (she'll be 3 in 3 weeks...). We do have an extra crib if you need to borrow one...and extra girl bedding come to think of it...Let me know if you need/want either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! How you didn't gouge your eyeballs out when you saw your little guys doing their crib tricks I'll never know!!! God gave you a super strong heart! As a word of encouragement, Lil is still not night trained. She has been day trained since September just for a reference. Good luck! I contained her to the areas where there wasn't carpet or she HAD to sit on a water proof pad otherwise. That helped me feel like I had control (not that I did ;)) or at least made it easier to clean up the accidents.

    ReplyDelete