1.08.2012

The Double-Edged Sword

A pregnant woman is never satisfied. A humorous situation made this real to me the other day.

Now, let me preface this story with the fact that I feel absolutely huge. I am very aware of the mass that is steadily growing around my midsection, making it uncomfortable for me to bend down to put socks on, impossible to lay on my stomach to search for toys that have rolled under the couch and difficult to get a good night's rest. I wake up every time I move from side to side, in order to adjust the blanket under my belly, and I dream of the day I can sleep on my back and my stomach again. I feel really really big. But when I look in the mirror, I do understand why people say, "You're six months pregnant? I was that big at two!" Alright, alright. Blame it on the long torso. Nonetheless, I feel large. Like there's another human growing inside of me or something. My poor husband doesn't even know how to respond to my comments about how big I feel. Normally, he just dismisses them by saying, "Babe, you look great."

After all, what else could he say? It's HIS fault I look like this! ;)

Now that that's out of the way, I can share my humorous story.

I was grocery shopping with Andy and the boys last week when we ran into one of my girl friends. I hadn't seen her in a while and she asked about the pregnancy. "We're doing great! We're twenty-five weeks along, due in just three months."

"No way," she said. "You barely look pregnant!" I laughed and then shortly after, we parted ways, shuffling our kids in two different directions.

"She said I barely look pregnant?" I asked my husband as we bundled the boys up to walk to the van. "How is that even possible? Can't she see this huge bowling bowl attached to my midsection?"

My husband, always the first to support me, said, "Aw, Min, I think she was just being nice."


Oh.


So... does that mean I really am as big as a whale? ;) I just had to laugh. For the days that followed, every time I thought about that comment it made me chuckle. Our poor husbands. And friends. What do we expect them to say? "Yes, you're really small," or "Yes, you're ginormous." Either way, they lose.

Guess I'll have to wait a few months if I want an honest answer.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh out loud! You are too funny! I totally remember feeling the same way! Remind me to tell you my story. It's close to home for you. PS You really do look tiny for being more than half way through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me think of a day when I was pregnant with Mia. A fellow teacher said "Wow, you're HUGE! You were never this big with Kate!", making me feel awful! This was followed, just a few hours later, by another friend I don't see too often who said "Wow, I can hardly tell you're pregnant!" I, obviously, preferred the 2nd response :)

    ReplyDelete