6.21.2011

The Best is Yet to Come

While cleaning out my kitchen cupboards the other day, I found my old digital camera. I mean, where else would you expect to find your camera?

It's the camera I used to record videos of the boys. Except I haven't been able to find it for quite a while, so the videos were more than six months old. The memory card was full, so I had to look through the videos to see which ones I could delete before downloading my favorites and make room for more. But as I flipped through the videos... the boys wrestling with daddy, jumping in their crib, playing with my phone, drinking out of a cup... I couldn't delete a single one. I just couldn't. Once they are deleted, they're gone. Forever. These moments were far too precious to delete. I had to download every single one onto my computer.

I love pictures. I'm addicted to photography. But there's something about taking a video. It's real life, caught in motion. It instantly takes you back to the moment, draws you in and sweeps you with the emotion of the situation. Even six months ago, my boys seemed more chunky. Shorter. They weren't as coordinated when they ran, jumped or wrestled. I went nuts when they said "more" or "please." I was just amazed at how quickly they seemed to change, even in such a short period of time.

When I came home from the hospital with two newborns, people tried to encourage me, saying, "Enjoy this time. It goes so fast." "Really?" was my response, "I hope so!!!" The majority of my days were about survival. Just making it through. Pumping six times a day and leaving the house only for church on Sundays... that was a rough time. But now, life is so enjoyable. The boys are fantastic sleepers and great nappers, we can take them anywhere on a moment's notice and they eat normal food and drink regular milk. The last two years have gone quickly... relatively quickly ;) But I'm so grateful I have these snippets of video to remind me how far we've come. And to offer hope for the future. 'Cause the best is yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. It DOES go fast! I can't believe they're TWO already!! Think of how much they'll change in the next 6 months!!

    So when do we get to see some of these videos? ;)

    ReplyDelete