4.19.2011

Wishing My Life Away

Do you ever feel like you're wishing your life away?

Like you're living for the weekends? Or a vacation? Perhaps even just a break. Or a night-out? Or longing for the days to end just so you can go to sleep? Or perhaps anxious for the next few months of house renovations, being on the market, open houses and negotiations, finding your new home and fixing it up so you can live in it?

Yeah? Well, I'm totally there.

We haven't even officially put our house up on the market and I'm feeling anxious to be on the other side.

I'm beginning to realize there have been several seasons of my life where this has been true. In college, I'd long for the end of the semester. But I still had to make it through the exams. When I was teaching, I'd long for the weekends. But I still had to go through Monday through Friday. When I was a new mom, I'd pray for daylight. Or Andy to come home. Or the boys to be all grown, cleaning, changing and feeding themelves. I remember many (well-meaning) people saying, "Oh, enjoy these first few weeks with your newborns. It goes so fast." I'd think, "Really? I hope so!"

As much as I wanted time to pass quickly, I am smart enough to know that there is a lot of learning in that in-between time. In fact, that's probably where the majority of life actually takes place. It's been during those times that I developed a determined attitude, a clear vision and a closer walk with my Creator. That's usually when I'm focused on God to carry me through, knowing that I'm not strong enough on my own!

So as I find myself in yet another "in between" stage, I will try and keep my eyes on the prize. Keep moving toward my goal but being available to experience life in the present. Our days are too precious to simply wish them all away.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, Mindy! I struggle with this with this too, and am working on being fully present with the kids each day-- and when I do, the days really are more enjoyable than when I'm constantly longing for something else besides what I've got.
    ps. Nonetheless, I'm still excited about your upcoming house plans ;)

    ReplyDelete