4.22.2011

I'm the Lucky One

My husband came home from work yesterday and we started our usual "catch-ups" with the boys.

It's a fun little activity that helps connect our worlds. I remind them everything we did that day so we can tell daddy. It's cute to see their reactions as we re-hash our movements and describe our adventures. "Did we get to see Aunt Marissa and Uncle Dan today? Did we eat soup for lunch? Did we see dogs outside our window?" That sort of thing. It's not very complicated. Sometimes, the boys' eyes will widen as they seem to remember something they enjoyed, but usually, all we get is a little "yes." It is fun, though, to connect with their daddy at the end of the day even if the most exciting thing we did was see the garbage truck!

Yesterday, after we had caught up with our stories of coloring, visiting with family and playing with puzzles, Andy said, "Min, our boys are so lucky to be able to spend time with you."


I've gotta tell you. That could seriously be one of the most wonderful compliments.

I am not a nanny. I don't get paid to do this. I've got a master's degree in education and I worked hard to become tenured in my position. There are lots of other things I could be doing with my time that could be more constructive, things that would be using the degree I worked so hard to obtain.

But you know, there's nothing else I would rather be doing with my time.

Nothing more valuable. More rewarding. More difficult or more exciting. It's true that some days, a big day is a trip to Target and a walk in the park. My makeup bag has evolved to require only two simple pieces. I usually have time to brush my teeth, but could care less about doing anything more with my hair than throwing it in a ponytail. Most of my clothes are stained with toddler love and it's rare for me to use the bathroom alone. But how fortunate I am to be able to invest my time with my two little men.

No, Andy. I'm the lucky one.

2 comments:

  1. You've got me crying... I needed this article today more than you can imagine. Thank you!
    xo
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I feel so privileged to be the one to raise my children.

    ReplyDelete