4.17.2011

Why I Like Airplanes

Every time I see an airplane taking off, I think of my husband.

It's sort of a little joke that began almost four years ago when we were first married. Our Sunday morning drive to church took us by the airport. Driving along the expressway, it was common for us to see an airplane making its ascent into the air. And I'll tell you, no matter how often you've seen that happen, it's simply miraculous. Every single time. It just doesn't seem like it should be possible. And if you're fortunate enough to see one in action... that's pretty cool.

"Look at that, Andy!" I'd say, like a kid in a candy store. Kinda how excited my boys get when hear a police car's siren. He'd match my enthusiasm with a little smile and a joke. 'Cause that's how my baby rolls. "Ahhh, good one, Eddie," he'd joke. "You have no idea what I had to pay him to get that timing just right."

And so the joke continued. We'd see an airplane taking off and marvel at the timing, the execution and the sight. "Is that Eddie?" I'd ask.

"Uhh, no. That's Paul." If we missed a takeoff by rounding a curve, he'd say, "Oh, Frankie was a little too early."

After four years, it still makes me smile. Thinking of my best friend and his quick-wit, humor and laugh. I love it.

Andy is out of town this weekend on business and won't be home until tomorrow night. It's the first time we've been this far away since we've been married. We've been doing great - my mom came two spend two days with me and the boys and helped keep my mind off the fact that my best friend was hundreds of miles away - but I hate that he's not here.

This morning, though, we drove to church. I took the expressway. And I saw an airplane take off.

I'm glad that I kept my composure and didn't burst into tears. Gosh, what am I twelve years old? Instead, I smiled and told my mom why I love watching airplanes take off. She might have thought it was a little weird, but had to at least acknowledge the silliness of our little joke.

When I got to church, I wrote Andy a text message. "Eddie's execution was absolutely beautiful this morning. Well done, Andy. Well done."

Looking forward to Eddie, Paul or Frankie flying Andy home tomorrow. Or perhaps it will be someone I've never met; I'll have to ask Andy. I hope someone on the ground is able to acknowledge the flawless execution of their takeoff. I, however, will be much more excited about that plane's landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment