4.26.2011

Preparing for the First Date

Tonight, I feel like I'm preparing for a first date. A blind date. But I'm not.

I'm actually preparing my house to welcome its first official showing. Tomorrow morning, we open our doors to the public and try and convince someone to buy our home.

Except it really feels like I'm preparing for a first date.

The preparation is the same. Now, please bear with me as I walk through this metaphor. I'm talking about my house being the girl, if that's not painfully obvious. First of all, she is a rare find. The runner-up in the Biggest Loser competition, every single area of this young lady has been overhauled. She's curvy, comfortable and confident. Fresh highlights and a clean interior, this girl is the Real Deal. She only announced her single status for twenty four hours before five men begged to get a chance to meet with her one-on-one. Over the next five days, she will meet with each one of these young suitors and see which of them is willing to meet her price. After all, quality don't come cheap.

In preparation for the meeting of each of these suitors, she readies herself. She gathers her resume of recommendations and picks out her favorite outfit. She's sure to plant the air refresheners and set her CD player to some Kenny G, to help set the mood. She wishes that she could plant a video camera somewhere in the house so she could replay the meeting's activities afterward, but she just can't. How fun would it be, though, to be a fly on the wall!

Understanding that physical beauty is especially important during this first meeting, she goes for a tan, plucks her eyebrows and shaves even the hair off the top of her feet. She finds herself going above and beyond her normal beauty routine, just to be sure she's showing off her best features. Will they like me? She wonders. Will they feel comfortable with me? Will they see me for what I'm worth?

So she looks in the mirror one more time, smiles back at her mom and opens the door. Hello, Mr. Right, here I come!



Conclusion: As busy as I am, apparently, I still have waaaaay too much time on my hands.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh, Mindy! Hope she scores a home run on her first date ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robyn! I hope so, too!

    Although the metaphor gets a little dicey when you think about the fact that this house is actually a rental that will probably have a few different tenants throughout the years... but let's not extend it that far. After all, this is a family blog ;)

    ReplyDelete