2.28.2011

Rays of Sunshine

Despite the fact that Ben emptied the entire contents of the silverware drawer this morning and we had to leave the science museum early because Jack couldn't resist the temptation to throw crayons into the water table, I have really good kids. Here's why I try and remind myself that this is normal, healthy behavior for normal, healthy boys!

But honestly, they really are quite cute. And lately, they've been doing a lot of things that melt my heart.

They're really into books and are thrilled that I pulled out some of our paper books too rather than restricting them to the hardcover. We've had to tape a few pages back together, but on the whole, they're not too bad with them. A sight that I will never tire of us watching Jack take a book to the seat of the couch and place it on the cushion. Then, standing there in front of the couch, he turns the pages one by one, and points and talks as he looks at each page. I just love it. Their favorite books are currently "The Little Engine that Could," "My Mommy & Me Story Bible," "First Animals" (which I can't find on Amazon.com) and "Days on the Farm." Oh, and "Bugs for Lunch." They get a kick out of pretending to eat the bugs on the page because mommy goes nuts.
As I mentioned before, one of their current favorites is "The Little Engine that Could." They love pointing to the trains and all of the animals waiting for another train to rescue them and pull them up the mountain. It's almost always their first choice when we snuggle together before naptime or bedtime. In reading it with them, I never realized how much I had communicated the sadness each of the toys felt in getting rejected by each of the passing trains. "Look, the elephant is sad," I would say, pointing to the crying toy. "No one will help them up the mountain." Now, whenever we see the characters in that book, the boys scrunch their faces and "talk" in a whiny tone. Took me a while to realize they were voicing the sentiments of the toys! Just adorable.

And when the boys aren't fighting over the same toy or pulling for mommy's attention, they absolutely love their brother. I really hope this lasts. This morning I realized how much Benjamin thinks Jonathan is his baby. Perhaps that's a bit of a stretch and he's just suuuuuper helpful and kind... most of the time, that is ;) But if I'm changing Jonathan's diaper, Ben will plop himself down next to Jack and stroke his hair. He'll pat his stomach and if Jack's crying, he'll run to get a toy for him to play with or juice for him to drink. Jonathan tends to be more independent so if he goes off into the other room to read on the floor, Ben will run to follow him and sit down next to him. When Jack gets up, so does Ben. When I'm changing Jack's diaper, Ben will wrap his arms around his brother as an attempt to either hug him or lift him up. Most of the time, this doesn't bother Jack at all. When I'm finished with the diaper, he starts to pull him up, though he needs my help to get him up the whole way. Melts.me.every.time.

And my current favorite: when I ask the boys if they have a poopy diaper, their answer is inevitably and abamently "no" by a severe shaking of the head. And you wonder at what age our kids start to lie? Looks like they'e got that one covered already! But then their brother goes behind him to check his diaper. They pull up their shirt and press their nose against their brother's backside. Then they get a concerned look on their face and mumble a few words before expecting me to respond. It really is the sweetest thing. At least to their mommy.

Though they will take eachother's winter hats and run (when we're getting ready to leave the house,) it's adorable to watch them take off their winter gear when we get home. They're usually too quick for their brother in taking off their own hat, but when it's time to pull down the zipper of their jacket, Ben rushes to Jack's aid. He's gotten better with time, though they're not nearly as talented and skilled as their minds tell them they are.

None of these things are amazingly unusual. They're not unique to my boys, nor are they THE most adorable things in the history of children. But for me, these little stories are rays of hope. Sunshine. Bright lights in my day and reminders that quite possibly, I'm doing at least ONE thing right.

Now, please excuse me, while I use the boys' nap to empty out the contents of my utensil drawer in the kitchen before they discover all of the sharp pointy objects and use them as swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment