2.18.2011

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ever.

The best chocolate chip cookie recipe - at least in my opinion - comes from Betty Crocker herself. The most basic and simple recipe is also the most delicious. But it's not just what you do, but how you do it. Be sure to read my tried-and-true tips below. The most important is timing.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. margarine or butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
2-1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1-12 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375'. Mix margarine, sugars, and egg. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff.) Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls about 2" apart onto greased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet. Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

Hints:
  • I like using 1 stick of margarine and 1 stick of butter, when available. I feel like that combination turns out best. My opinion, though.
  • I never add nuts, but that's just me. Chocolate chips alone are fantastic.
  • The timer is set for 8 minutes and 20 seconds after putting in a tray of dough. I take it out seconds after the timer beeps, when I can see a very slight, light brown crust at the bottom. The centers will be soft. They will continue to set after you take them out to cool. If you wait to remove them from the oven when they are brown at the tops, they are already hard. Burned. Not good.
  • Let sit on a cooling rack for at least fifteen minutes before moving to a serving tray.
Take it out when you see that slight light brown and you'll have a perfect cookie. Every time. Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment