10.28.2010

Fire Island Ziti

Another great one from the Taste of Home (August/September 2010 issue, page 46.) The secret is in those roasted tomatoes... absolutely delicious! You'll notice that I used penne pasta rather than ziti, just because that's my husband's favorite and that's what I had in my cupboard :) I thought my husband would get a speeding ticket on the way home when I heard I was making this! Don't worry. He didn't.

Fire Island Ziti

2 lbs. plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
3 T. olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1# ziti
2 c. fresh broccoli florets
1# Italian sausage links, cut into ½” slices
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 c. grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

Toss the tomatoes with 2 T. oil, garlic and salt. Place cut side down in a 15x10” baking pan. Bake at 450˚ for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Chop when cool enough to handle (keep the skins.) Cook ziti according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in remaining oil until no longer pink. Add pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Drain ziti mixture and add a little salt; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this! Pasta dishes are the only thing I can count on Sophia eating (or anything I make with tomato, basil, and garlic) so I'm always looking for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete