5.26.2010

The Snap

I went to Target this afternoon while my mom watched the boys for a few hours. Can I just say how nice it is to walk through that store by yourself? It truly is a beautiful thing. My goal was to find a pair of sandals for the boys, although part of the thrill was simply the change of scenery.

I walked up and down every shoe aisle, simply enjoying the fact that I could get up and down each aisle with such ease. I thought, man, good thing I don't have any girls. I'd go broke in this place! For every one pair of shoes for boys, there were twenty for girls. No lie. 

I could hear a woman in conversation and as I got closer, I realized that she was on her cell phone. She obviously doubled as a professional during the week. "No, I agree... He should be reprimanded... possibly fired... that behavior is just unacceptable." There was authority in her voice. She was stirn. Confident. I'm sure she was a nice person, but listening to the clarity of her words, I knew this was one lady I would not want to cross. In or out of the office.

As I circled that row, I saw her son sitting on a bench, munching on some potato chips. He was probably about nine. He seemed numb to his mother's conflict; bored, but also somewhat content to just people-watch. I smiled as I walked by. He looked pretty used to this.

I finally found the ONE section for baby boy sandals. It was an endcap. I could see the boy and his mother to my right, still on the phone. I found some cute brown sandals that I hoped would go with more than one outfit. Perfect. As I looked for two matching sandals the same size, the boy got up from his seat and started moving away from his mom. She was still talking, "That won't be necessary... I will handle it..." Then she realized her son had moved. Without skipping a beat, she snapped her fingers. Once.

I laughed. I'm hoping now she didn't see me. I don't think she did.

Her son stopped dead in his tracks and turned around. She kept talking, but I'm sure he could read her face. Get.Over.Here.Now. He made a heavy sigh as if to say, But Mom... and then he obeyed.

I couldn't believe how fast that little sound took me back. My mom used to do that with us, too. It was for those times she would have normally called your name - or yelled it - while she was otherwise detained. Usually it was because she was on the phone or talking to another adult at church where we were fooling around. We knew immediately what she wanted. Stop what you're doing and come here. And she only had to make a sound. The snap. That sound was the warning bell. If we didn't head her warning, the result would be embarrassing for her and most likely, for us too.

Amazing how that took me back.

I got home a few hours later, grateful to have gotten some fresh air by myself. The boys were sleeping when I got home (thanks, Nana!) and so when they got up, they were still a little groggy. Ben was wide awake, but Jack seemed like he could use a few more minutes. The joy of twins. I hopped onto the couch with Jack and let him fall asleep on my shoulder while Ben continued to play on the floor.

Ben wanted to be where the action was, so I reluctantly pulled him onto the couch with me. How could I resist those big eyes and arms reaching up toward me? I don't mind him being on the couch - the boys LOOOVE to look out the window and the couch is the only way they can do that. But it's frustrating how often they go to the side of the couch and attempt to nose-dive to the floor. Boys. This is one of the few places where I repeatedly say, "No" before bringing them down to the floor again.

It didn't take long for Ben to reach toward the side and start making his way toward the inevitable. Without even thinking, I snapped.

I had to stifle a laugh. Did I really just snap at my one-year-old? Jack was sleeping in my arms. I didn't want to wake him up by calling Ben's name. I couldn't believe it.

But do you know the best part? He stopped.

Apparently, snapping is effective for even the smallest of ears! You better believe I'll use that technique again in the future as the need arises. Whenever I need them to stop dead in their tracks... even when they're wearing their new adorable $6.99 brown flip-flop sandals from Target.

2 comments:

  1. So I tried "the snap" on Beatrice. Totally didn't work. I was bummed... Then I tried the name shout, the run after and the full body tackle. The last one worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - I didn't say he OBEYED. I just said he STOPPED. ;)

    The joy of toddlers, huh?

    ReplyDelete