5.17.2010

Adventures in Shopping

Andy can't believe how often I've been getting out with the boys. And it's true! For a whole year, I never left the house on my own unless someone else was here to help load the boys into the van. Now, this momma's gettin' around!

Wait. That sounded bad. I don't mean it like that. I just mean that I've been soo much more confident in taking the boys around on my own! In the van, in the stroller, no problem.

Not only is it easier to cart the boys around now that they're walking (or at least more sturdy,) but the fact that I don't have to pump every three hours gives me more flexibility throughout the day. I love it. I've gone to Target, Babies"R"Us, the doctor and Kohl's while also taking them for a walk every day the weather agrees with us. It's nice to feel like I've gotten my independence back again, especially after such a long time. The most recent outing was this afternoon.

I was looking forward to exchanging some of the boys' clothes they got for their birthday from the Carter's store and figured I might as well make an afternoon of it. I packed up the boys after they had lunch and we were on our way.

As I pulled the stroller into the store - a store where I had never been before - the first thing I noticed were all of the sales that were going on. Sixty, seventy percent off... score! I had a few gifts I wanted to get for other people, too, so this would be excellent. But my heart sunk when I realized the fact that there was virtually no walking space between the racks. The side-by-side stroller would inevitably get stuck on the first turn. The aisles weren't even wide enough for me to fit head-on. They might as well have posted a sign that said "Multiples Not Welcome."


There would be no browsing today. I returned the clothes and sadly took merchandise credit for the rest. I saw another mom effortlessly darting between the racks with her sixth-month old on her hip and felt a pang of jealousy. Don't worry, it only lasted a moment. Oh well. Such is life with multiples, I guess.

Old Navy was only a stone's throw away so we strolled there. They only had a handicapped door for the exit, so I struggled with the stroller to open one door and squeeze my way through. A woman ran from the parking lot to help. "Let me get that for you," she offered, opening both doors for me. "My twins are in the car," she smiled. I sighed a sigh of relief. Yes. Someone else who understands. I thought about how many times she must have struggled to open two doors at once or quiet two babies on her own in public. I immediately felt like I knew her. Amazing how one little thing can connect two complete strangers. We chatted a moment about her 13-year-old girls and she left saying, "It gets easier."

I walked through the wide aisles and the sales of Old Navy and picked out a gift while the boys happily played with their toys and entertained any kids passing by. I thought, being a MoM (Mother of Multiples) really is a labor of love. But those that emerge from it come out stronger, more empathetic and more of who God made them to be.

I might not have been able to get what I wanted at Carter's, but that's fine. I might have gotten something even better: a broader perspective of my position. This is just a season. It will not last forever. Six months ago, I couldn't have imagined being confident enough to bring the boys out alone in public. But I'm doing it! Who knows how much further we'll be six months from now!

The boys and I enjoyed a great outing today. But I still think my favorite place to shop is the World Wide Web :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mindy... I just wanted to take a second to say that while I may never understand that it is like to be a MoM... I feel like I have twins all the sudden with the addition of Madeline. Two to care for, two to feed, two to entertain, two to put to bed. It is hard, and as someone at the beginning of my journey I appreciate hearing about yours! So thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, I loved reading this =) You articulate the shopping experience so well, I totally can relate to the challenges (aside from having twins!). It's kind of funny how many times someone has made my day just by giving an empathetic smile and holding the door open for me!
    Also, it was a bunch of experiences like this one-- you know, the ones when you ram the stroller into doorways and racks so many times you start to fear that the kids have whiplash- that led us to get the tandem style stroller for indoor use!

    ReplyDelete