6.02.2010

Things I Never Had to Teach

As mothers, we spend the entire pregnancy wondering what our kids will be like. What color hair and eyes they will have, what their personalities may be like and what interests they will have. I loved dreaming about each one of these things. Perhaps I speculated even more than the average mom because I was carrying two at the same time... are they identical, will they get along, how soon will we need separate bedrooms... and the list goes on and on.

We take these beautiful bundles home and continue to watch them grow. It's fun to see different traits in the boys that we see in our families. Whose eyes, nose, ears, mouth, tracing back to our grandparents. The boys changed on a daily basis, both physically and emotionally, becoming more and more who God created them be.

Over the past few weeks, I've been noticing things in the boys that made me realize just how much they took from us. From me. And I never had to teach them.

Closet Poopers
I've noticed that both of my boys will do this from time to time. They'll stop what they're doing and go off into a corner of the room, under their highchairs or behind a couch. They'll squat and change their facial expression to one of sheer concentration. Red face and everything. A few moments later, they emerge from their hiding spot and one sniff will prove the inevitable. They pooped. The worst part about this? I did the same.exact.thing when I was their age. Oh, don't worry. I had a diaper on, too. Well, a few times it was in my training pants. But how weird is that? I'm wondering if it's a repressive personality thing. God help them.

Water in the Eyes
The first time we gave the boys a bath, Jack loved it. Ben, however, wasn't too sure. It took him a bit to get used to the water and the idea of being wet. Both of the boys love bathtime now, probably because it's their daddy that's giving it to them (something for which I am extremely grateful!) But mommy can always hear when Benjamin is getting his hair washed. Especially when that little bucket gets close to his eyes. Yup. He screams. I'm the same way. Even at 29 years old, I don't like being wet. And I'm too afraid to open my eyes underwater. It's a little embarrassing to admit, but it's true. I never had to teach that to Benjamin, either. Poor guy. I'm hoping his daddy can help him gain some confidence in that arena (since Andy could spend all day playing games in the water!!)

Night Owls
Perhaps this one is more genetic than I may realize. I'm a night owl. My mom is a night owl. My grandma is a night owl. We are simply more alert in the evening! My husband has paid the price for this one, especially when I'm in the mood for a deep conversation right before we go to bed and he can barely keep his eyes open! I've had to learn new habits with the boys. After all, mommies don't have a choice whether or not they want to wake up at 3am for a feeding. But it would appear that my babies may have some of this, too. Ben especially. He's usually the most resistant to bedtime and waking him up in the morning or from a nap can be very difficult. He is just too comfortable to move! The first few days after we brought his home, I couldn't keep him awake at the breast!! Sorry, Ben. Looks like another negative trait from your mommy.

The scariest part of it all is that my boys are just over a year old. How many other things have I unknowingly passed on that won't even be discovered for thirty years?

The only thing I can think of is to hide the markers and crayons. I used to draw on the backs of the couches and under the cupboards. Perhaps I better interview Andy to find out what other things I should be prepared for... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment