6.04.2010

Handmade Envelopes

When I was in high school, someone gave me a card in a handmade envelope. I've always been a crafty person, one who always hesitated to simply recycle a magazine or calendar, so the idea instantly had me intrigued! Almost fifteen years ago and thousands of cards and envelopes later, I'm still doing it.
A few of the envelopes I made today using an old Vera Bradley catalogue, too cute to simply recycle!

Here's the easiest way I've come to explain it (mostly since I did them with my sixth-graders, so they're basically fool-proof!)

First, choose an envelope you'd like to copy. It can be large, small or medium. (The only limit is the size paper you have to make your new envelope with.) I've made large wedding cards as well as tiny cards for gift bags. Disassemble the original envelope, taking care not to rip its edges.
Next, get a piece of paper to use for your new envelope... or quite a few. I love working with old calendars (yes, even if they have writing on them!) as well as old catalogues, magazines, construction paper, cardstock, or even 12"x12" scrapbooking paper. Wrapping paper doesn't work well, though; my students said so. Be sure your paper isn't too thin or too thick. If it's too thin, it won't travel well in the mail. If it's too thick, you'll have a hard time cutting, folding and gluing it down. I chose a few from an old Parenting magazine. You want to choose pages that are colorful and are mostly covered by a picture. Too many words will be distracting.

Thirdly, trace the form of the envelope onto your magazine paper. (I've done this so many times I don't even trace the envelope onto the paper. I simply hold the envelope against my paper and cut around it.) But for the sake of this 'tutorial,' I traced it with pencil.

Next, cut it apart. If the paper isn't too thick, you can easily add 2-4 more papers underneath to get more done at once.
After that, you're ready to fold! This can be the most difficult part of the whole process since you have to match each of the corners together and hope they come out straight. Here's a trick I used when doing them with my study hall kids: trace a piece of cardstock against the middle of your original envelope. Cut it out.
Then use that as a guideline as to where you should fold. Not only does this make it easier, but it's guaranteed to come out as a nice rectangle each time and MUCH faster. Flip your envelope to the wrong side so it comes out the right way when you're done.



Then use glue (or tape) to close the bottom flap onto the sides. Be sure to notice which way is "up" and which side is "down" or your envelope may look lopsided!

All that's left then is putting a mailing label on the front so you can address it to the person of your choice! I get my mailing labels at the Dollar Tree... 10 sheets of 30 labels... score!
You see? Even I can do that during one of the boys' afternoon naps!
Wouldn't YOU just LOVE to get one of THESE in the mail? I thought so.

3 comments:

  1. You, like your mother, are so talented. Absolutely beautiful and yes I would love to receive one. I am going upstairs to go through all my old magazines, especially my old Victoria magazines, to see what I can do!! Thanks for the great idea. I can't wait to make cards to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I couldn't wait to get back into my craft room and start making envelopes. I am amazed athow beautiful they are. And I thought I saved all those Martha Stewart Living Magazine for the recipes! Ha! Thanks again for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving this site thru my mutual friend Annette Rizzo. See how crafting, scrapping news travels across the country! We are all obsessed! Thanks for making something old new again! Time goes by and we forget what we used to do in simplier times before the scrapping industry grew to what it is! you sh/get marketing this before someone else scoops it up!
    Thanks again for new-old ideas!!!
    Vickie Vitale, NJ

    ReplyDelete