12.16.2010

Being a (Godly) Boy

One of the reasons parenting is so exhausting is the fact that our little ones are learning. They're experimenting. They're seeing how things work and how they fit in. And in order to learn, they need to hear it, experience and DO it over and over and over and over again.

Because my boys are so active, I treasure the moments where it's quiet. When they're both sitting on my lap and reading a book. Thank God, they enjoy books! We do this every day before naptime and bedtime. One of our favorite books recently is "A Little Boy After God's Own Heart," by Jim & Elizabeth George. They also have one for girls. It was a baby shower gift from a dear friend with two little boys of her own. Andy and I love the emphasis on character traits and the pictures are beautiful (my boys love pointing out the dog, birds and teddy bear on each page!) But the boys seem to especially enjoy the rhyme. The book focuses on the fruits of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These are two of my favorites: 
Patience

"I'm tired of waiting. Speed up! Come  on!"
Are the words of a boy whose patience is gone.
How can a guy wait when he's raring to go?
He asks God for patience and help to go slow.

When you're in a hurry, don't think of yourself.
Instead ask the question, "How can I help?"
Let God give you the patience for the needs of others,
Including your parents, sisters, and brothers.
Gentleness
Loud, rough, and rowdy describes most little boys.
They run, and they jump, and they scatter their toys.
But God's little boy is way different from these-
He's gentle and calm and puts people at ease.

Gentleness seems strange to an active young guy,
Who thinks being gentle shows weakness inside.
But gentleness is part of God's wonderful plan,
As boys use their strength to help where they can.
I want my boys know that it's okay to act like a boy. I want them to know that it's healthy to be active, adventurous and curious. But I also want them to know what it means to be a child of God. God's little boys can practice self-control and restraint as they mature and grow in Him.

Yes, I will probably go insane in the process - hiding my valuables, covering the hardwood floor with protective matts and keeping plenty of soft balls around the house - but I suppose I'll be in good company. Because as my husband teases me, there are some things that girls just can't understand :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That sounds like a great book! I should track one down for my boys and one for my girl too. :)

    You keep doing your job mom and dad of raising your boys in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord"

    Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Eph 6:1-4

    You guys are doing a fantastic job with your boys. Have no fear! They'll know the fruit of the spirit and live it. And everyone that knows them will know and love them for it.

    ReplyDelete