11.04.2010

Turkey a la King

I made this for dinner tonight, though I used chicken instead. It was fantastic - even my toddlers enjoyed it! The recipe suggests serving it over rice, noodles, biscuits or toast. I used a little trick my mom used to do: toasting bread inside muffin tins! I also added a whole bag of frozen vegetables (with lima beans, green beans, corn, carrots and peas) rather than just the frozen peas. It made for a more colorful and nutritious meal. Next time, I would need to add more chicken broth to the mixture (because of my increase in vegetables) so it will be a little more creamy. It's a perfect meal for all of those Thanksgiving leftovers, too!

Turkey a la King


1-3/4 c. mushrooms, sliced
1 celery rib, chopped
¼ c. onion, chopped
¼ c. green pepper, chopped
4 T. butter
¼ c. flour
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. milk
2 c. turkey breast, cooked and cubed*
1 c. frozen peas
½ tsp. salt
8 slices of bread

In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery, onion and pepper in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Combine the flour and broth until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the turkey, peas and salt; heat through. Meanwhile, butter the bread on one side. Tuck inside a cupcake tin and bake at 350˚ for about 15 minutes. Serve the mixture inside the toasted bread, which will come out in the shape of a cup.
* Again, I used chicken in my recipe. I cooked the chicken breasts in the CrockPot on low for about 6 hours today; I sliced a small onion and sprinkled some salt and pepper as well as a little bit of water. Then I discarded the onions before I chopped it up for my dinner. Easy! (This recipe was taken from Taste of Home's Thanksgiving 2010 issue, page 69.)

3 comments:

  1. Great job on all the healthy cooking! I like how you and your hubby are working together on losing weight. How is it going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I was signed in wrong... that comment above was from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks Beth! We're doing really well and have been feeling so much better. It's like our insides are happier! ;) But I don't know how/if I've actually been losing weight. Neither of us have weighed ourselves and I think we're just trying to stick with this for a while. I guess the hope is that if we continue to eat well, we can keep making healthier choices and eventually lose weight. I'll keep you posted! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete