11.16.2010

Joy in Simplification

You know how cute it is when you see a little girl dancing on her daddy's toes? Her head is raised as she gazes into his big eyes and his eyes sparkle back. Adorable, right? Or how about that little boy, grasping onto his daddy's leg and is laughing as his dad pulls him through the ktichen. It's beautiful, isn't it? Now, picture TWO toddlers. On two legs. Of the same person. But rather than enjoying the fact that you're dragging sixty pounds of toddler, you're seeing it as an obstacle of getting from one end of the room to the other.

Yup. Well, that's me.

Jack and Ben have been sooo clingy lately. They've always loved their mommy, but lately, their obsession has reached a new level. A new peak. They tell me this is normal. Molars are growing in. They're irritable and just want mommy. Not even daddy will do, no matter how hard he tries to distract them. It's age-appropriate, they tell me. Healthy. And not to worry, that they'll grow out of it. I have to be honest: this is one stage I'm more than anxious to be over!

It is for this reason that I have come to treasure my times in the evening even more. Working a minimum of just fifteen minutes after we put them down, I find so much peace in being able to start and finish one whole project without four little hands begging to be scooped up. And the progress is inspiring!

I'm taking one thing at a time. Two or three, if I feel especially motivated. But my rule is that I won't start a new project unless I know I can finish it that night. It's a pet peeve of mine. Otherwise, it becomes a huge mess everyone has to step over; eventually, it's thrown into a corner - out of the way - and never to be attempted for as long as we both shall live. Perhaps this is why I've always been a night owl: I hate waking up and knowing there was still more to do! So I've been firm on this. And I've been so pleased with the results.

The other day, I organized my spice cupboard in the kitchen during the boys' nap. Let me tell you: it's beautiful. It was helpful looking through my inventory, finding any doubles and preparing myself for the holiday baking season. Love it. Two nights ago, I organized three cupboards in the bathroom, including our medicine cabinets. Tonight, I cleaned out both cupboards underneath the sink. You don't even want to know how much stuff I threw out. Medicine, creams, tablets... all expired. Rather than think about how much money I was literally pouring down the drain, I tried to be thankful for all of the medicine we never needed!

In addition to cupboards, I also cleared my countertops. I took off anything that I didn't use on a daily basis or that was just 'clutter.' I feel like I've got so much more room to work now! My new nightly goal is to go to bed with a clean countertop (and sink) because I love waking up with a sigh of relief, rather than a dreaded "Uh, this mess is still waiting for me" kinda thought. It has drastically improved the quality of my day.

My utensil drawer will be next. And then perhaps I'll work on my computer desk drawer, whatever I feel like in that moment. But it feels so good to be able to do things like when I can find some time! Especially since "productive" is not a word I've been able to use about my days since the boys were born :)

One step at a time. I'll get this whole mommy thing down yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment