8.11.2010

Jambalaya: Our New Favorite


Summertime is a horrible time to use the oven. So instead, I'm constantly looking for new recipes that only use the stovetop. Taste of Home is my favorite cooking magazine and always has fantastic homemade recipes; that's where I found this. Let me tell you, taking thirty minutes from start to finish, it's been our favorite this summer!
Jambalaya Skillet
1/2# boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
2 T. butter
1# smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4" slices
1-14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 c. chicken broth
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1-1/2 c. uncooked instant rice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken in butter over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the kielbasa, broth, green pepper and onion; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt if desired, and hot pepper sauce. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 6 servings. Recipe taken from Taste of Home.
I use brown instant rice and if I'm planning on giving some to my boys, I'll leave out the hot sauce completely and we put as much (or as little) as we'd like. I also use diced tomatoes rather than stewed tomatoes. I'm not always a big fan of spicy things, but I love to douce my jambalaya in hot sauce! I've also been anxious to add shrimp too, but I'll have to save that for next time. With this meal, we never have leftovers for the next day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment