8.10.2010

Imagination Gone Wild

Normally, I am not a very imaginative person. Creative, yes. Imaginative, no. That probably sounds like the same thing, but I think they’re actually very different. I like creating things out of items in front of me: scrapbooking, photography, those kinds of things. But I have a very difficult time creating something out of nothing. This makes me a very poor storyteller, a bad liar and more likely to watch National Geographic than the Science Fiction channel.

Anyway. I have a point.

The boys and I went to the playground this morning for a playdate with my MOPS group. It starts at 10am, which is difficult for two little boys with a naptime of 11am. But still, we had a good time and came home by 12:15pm to take our nap.

They were both falling asleep in my arms when I heard the doorbell. Oh, well, I thought. If it’s the UPS guy, he’ll just have to leave the package. These guys are exhausted and have to sleep. The boys continued to keep their head down and I thought we were home free. Then the doorbell rang again. And again and again and again. Obviously, whoever was at the door really wanted to come in.

The boys wouldn't let me put them down - typical - so I scooped them both up and looked out the window. Hmm, no UPS truck. No car in the driveway. Who could it be? All the while, the doorbell is going nuts and by now, they are feverishly pounding on my door. Huh?

I walked down the stairs, poked my head around the corner and saw the top of a man's head through the upper window of the door. "Who is it?" I yelled, readjusting my 25 pound boys on each hip. No answer. I yelled again. No answer. I thought I heard him scribbling something on the door, but he never looked up. So I took my sleepy boys back up the stairs, locked the door to our apartment and attempted to get them back down again.

No luck.

In frustration, I called Andy to see if he was expecting anyone today. "No," he said, confused, "not that I can think of." He was pleased that I hadn't opened the door, but wasn't sure who would have tried so hard to get our attention. He ran through a short list of men that would have matched my sketchy description, but neither of us could figure out what any of those men would be doing at our house in the middle of the day.

That's when I started to get creative. Err, imaginative. My mind went crazy, thinking of the possibilities of a man following me home, trying to get into our house and plans for robbery or harm to my boys. I haven't ordered anything online and wouldn't be expecting anything in the mail. Gosh, he knows I'm alone. The van is in the driveway - of course someone's in the house! He knows Andy's at work. What would I do if I was in danger? My parents live a half-hour away. Could the police even get here fast enough? I amazed myself with how imaginative I got, even creating an attemptable escape plan if I felt it was necessary.

My boys were far away from a nap at this point, so I finally mustered up enough courage to go downstairs again (this time, without the boys,) so I could see if he left anything with all of that scribbling. I took my cell phone and after I made sure the boys would be alright without me for twenty seconds, I went down.

And guess what? It was FedEx. Our tenants were being sent a package. Apparently, it was from Verizon so he couldn't just leave it at the door. Someone had to be there to sign for it. Ugh.

I called Andy immediately and let him know my findings. He was relieved, too, especially since I'm pretty independent and don't get rattled like that very easily! Why I couldn't see his truck, he didn't wear a company hat or why he didn't answer my question to see who was there, I'll never know. But I do know that I'm not going to let my mind wander too far next time. I think I grew three new gray hairs in a matter of ten minutes!

The boys did go down for a nap... two hours later. Oh, well. At least their rest allowed me a breather and a few minutes to type out proof of my crazy - and sometimes, irrational - imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment