7.01.2010

Eighteen Years Later

Andy and I took the boys to our favorite restaurant the other night. We are very blessed that Jack and Ben do really well in public... at least so far. Armed with a few McDonalds toys, a cup and a straw and plenty of food, they allow us to enjoy a night out while not having to organize a babysitter!

We sat in a table against the wall and quickly began unloading our goodies. The family next to us was just beginning to leave when they noticed our little guys. The oldest lady in the group said, "Oh, my word! Twins!" You could hear the excitement in her voice. Wherever there are multiples, there's an instant bond. "My grandsons are twins, too! See?" She turned around and pointed at her two eighteen-year-old grandsons with their hands in their pockets. They had been celebrating their high school graduation. The boys smiled politely and awkwardly shifted their weight; this was not the first time they had been pushed into the spotlight.

"Aren't they such a blessing?" the mom asked me. "Oh, yeah. Such a blessing," I admitted, "but a lot of work, too!" I added that last phrase at the last second, expecting to get an I-know-exactly-what-you-mean response. Instead, she said, "No, I never saw it as work. It was always a lot of fun."

It's not work, huh?
Gee, that's funny.
I always felt like these guys kept me on my toes.
Most days, I feel like I'd have an easier time working full-time.
But I must be wrong.

Obviously, caring for two busy toddlers is a cake walk!
Either I'm doing something terribly wrong or that mom has some serious memory issues!

3 comments:

  1. Hehehe, thanks for the laugh, Mindy =) Sounds like selective amnesia to me! Then again, if her boys are on the brink of heading off to college, she's quite possibly a jumbled mess inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she has selective memory...kinda like birth pain memories, it's never as bad as you remember when you are going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness MIndy! I'm sending this to my mother in law right now!!! Did you know my husband is a twin?!!!! She has stories that you would likely relate too! She has always said they had each other to collaborate with!!! They tried to climb up dressers, out windows, under church pews!!! She would NEVER tell you it wasn't work...but she is so happy for the blessings they are!!! Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete