10.27.2009

A New Journey

When I found out I was pregnant with twins, I couldn't believe it. Me? Two babies? At the same time? Yikes. Amongst feelings of utter excitement and joy, I felt anxious and nervous about this new endeavor. How would I be able to manage?

The shower gifts rolled in and filled our small apartment to the ceiling. Two car seats, two high chairs, two swings, and a double stroller. Two of every outfit, toy, and baby utensil imagineable. Oh, Lordy. How am I going to do this? I was extremely excited, knowing what a blessing this was, but still felt overwhelmed as to how everything would come together.

Thank God, we had a great pregnancy and delivery, with the boys arriving after 38 weeks. Every day was a challenge to keep two boys clean, fed, and healthy while also maintaining some kind of sanity in the routine for me. My husband and family was and continues to be a huge support, helping me often and whenever I need a break. But just when I would begin to feel confident in what I was doing, I'd watch other moms and their babies who were born around the same time. Other kids seemed to be sleeping 12 hours through the night and eat solid food on the first try. It seemed like I would never get ahead. How was I supposed to bathe these boys every day, much less trim their nails, keep them in clean clothes much less take pictures and keep track of things in their baby books? As a first-time mom, I thought it'd be years before I'd get it right.

Fast forward six months. My boys are contentedly napping in their cribs at the moment, clean and fed. I just finished a load of laundry and started prepping dinner to make my husband's favorite, beef stroganoff. Some days aren't as serene as this, but I'm feeling good about where I am. A wife, a friend, a mother. I have done many things wrong, but I've done things well, too.

I have created this blog to help encourage other moms through their journey, passing on any insight or encouragement I have received as I navigate through this new world. We are doing a good thing. A God thing. It's not a job that necessarily receives a lot of praise, attention, or prizes. But as you are well-aware, the rewards are out of this world.

My boys still aren't sleeping through the night, but we do get stretches of 8 hours at rare times. They're not quite convinced that they like solids yet either, but at least more seems to end up in their tummies than their bib. I am not superwoman, but I am learning not just to manage, but ENJOY each new day. One step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweet girl!! LOVE your new blog. Love everything about it--the background and title is awesome (you're totally going to have to tell me how you did that), and the posts are great. Awesome idea and definitely needed (for you and others). One thing I've learned is to be patient with yourself and with her. I struggled for a while with Braya not wanting the solid food (and I thought I waited a while since I waited til 6 months when their digestive tracks are fully developed). So anyway, I thought that since I waited that long, SURELY she'd love her food. NOT AT ALL! It was more disheartening when several of my friend's babies were eating like it was their job. I had to remind myself that babies don't even need solid food in the first year and that my milk was enough. I tried a little here and there, but wasn't forcing it on her. Anyway, sometime between month 7 and 8, she started eating and loving it. Each baby is different, so we need to be patient with them and adjust to what they're telling us. Cuz soon enough you'll wonder if they're eating too much as your milk supply lessens---then you have THAT to freak out about! :-)

    I started a blog a week ago (totally new at this thing), but you should check it out. Plus, you're going to have to give me some blogging tutorials! I still don't know why the people I'm following aren't showing up on my dashboard. Only 3 blogs are on there and I'm following over 20. And now yours...yay!

    http://adventuresofa1sttimemommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete